Tuesday 15 November 2011

The converting of a purist


I am a self-proclaimed purist, I love all things print, and occasionally I find myself rubbing pages between my fingers to appreciate the high quality of the paper. That is why it came as a bit of a surprise when I was given the title of interactive editor.

For those who know me, methods and the ever advancing of technology does not come naturally to me. I own a Toshiba and I believe Macs are an unnecessary expense. As far as social media goes, lets just say Facebook was a result of peer pressure.
When it came to online journalism I treated it with suspicion, like a child views their future stepmother, could online journalism be the end of my beloved newspapers?

Four weeks later and I am thriving in a world of print, online journalism and social media. The four weeks have opened my eyes and brought me the realization that online journalism does not mean the end of print, instead they compliment each other. Online news is quick and free of charge (bar The Times), print journalism is a lazy Sunday afternoon with a cup of tea.
Just as our lives are speeding up there are many forms of news to keep up with us however much time we chose to put aside.

Now after these four weeks that have tossed me in the deep end of the future of journalism would I still call myself a purist?
I’m too busy to tell you now, I’ll tweet it later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment